Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire Damage Restoration in Collingdale, PA
A fire loss on your Collingdale, PA property can be confusing and devastating. After the fire is out, you'll often experience water damage on the property as well, due to firefighting efforts. This can leave your property a mess, but there's certain things you should be focusing on first, before anything else. After any fire damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first. Is it safe to stay in the house? Look for electrical and "slip and fall" hazards as they are some of the most prevalent concerns. Only do activities that are safe for you to perform. Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful! Most importantly call a fire restoration specialist like SERVPRO of South Philadelphia/SE Delaware County to help restore your property.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (610) 237-9700
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.